Back

Computer Science

Creative iMedia - Curriculum Intent

Technology has changed the way we live our lives. The development of SMART phones, gaming consoles and other devices has led to increasing our intake of online media: images, games, videos, music and websites; all dominating our daily lives and, with this increase, companies are always on the look-out for the most exciting ideas which are not only easy to use but great to look at.

 At Oakbank, we believe that all our students should be given an opportunity to learn about how to use computers creatively, effectively and safely. Alongside this we want to give them the opportunity and freedom to design and implement their own solutions to problems, and to question those products that are so readily available to them. iMedia is the study of how to create online media that meets the challenge of a client brief  as well as meet the needs of its target customers.

We are proud to offer the OCR Cambridge National Certificate in Creative iMedia. This is a GCSE equivalent qualification where 25% of the marks are assessed in a 75 minute exam and the remaining 75% of marks are awarded through 3 controlled assessments, carried out in class. It is a course for students who prefer practical learning and have an interest in creating digital media such as graphics, websites and audio on a computer and who can work independently with passion and commitment on an idea from its inception right through to evaluation at the end.

Computer Science

“Coding is today's language of creativity. All our children deserve a chance to become creators instead consumers of computer science” Maria Klawe.

Computing and technology has changed the way we live our lives. The development of SMART phones, gaming consoles and other devices has led to increasingly high rates of device addition, nomophobia (fear of being disconnected from your device), lack of sleep as well as poor mental and physical health. In addition, fraud and cyber-crime are now the UK’s most common crime with approximately one in ten people falling victim.

Despite the time spent using computing devices, such as phones and gaming consoles, it is surprising how little many students know about how they actually work, the dangers and what to actually look for when buying a device, often falling victim to clever branding, marketing and peer pressure.

 At Oakbank, we believe that all our students should be given an opportunity to learn how to use computers creatively, effectively and safely and given opportunities to design and implement their own solutions to problems, rather than be a “slave” to other programmer’s algorithms.

We offer a broad curriculum encompassing computer science, where students learn how computers work and how to program them, digital literacy, where students develop spreadsheet models, creative skills in photoshop, the vital hardware needed as well as e-safety and how to avoid the pitfalls of the internet. We aim to enable students to become the “masters” of computing devices rather than the “slaves”.

Not surprisingly, many students take learning Computer Science into GCSE level where they go on to learn to program competently in languages such as python and get into more depth on how hardware works, security, Boolean logic, networks, connections, protocols, software and the Ethical, legal, cultural and environmental impacts of digital technology.

 

Subject Documents Date  
Creative iMedia KS3 23rd Jul 2020 Download
Creative iMedia KS4 23rd Jul 2020 Download
Computer Science KS4 23rd Jul 2020 Download
Computer Science KS3 2021/2022 07th Sep 2021 Download